sam's notes

notes on government, sports and popular culture

Saturday, September 11, 2004

 
Here's the N.Y. Times review of "Namath," a book I have been eyeing on shelves for quite some time. I can't fork out $28 for a book, so I'll wait until the price comes down. For now, I'll enjoy it vicariously through reviews.

Initial question: why is Janet Maslin, a movie critic, reviewing this book instead of, say, Damon Hack, or even William C. Rhoden?

Anyway, what I would be interested to read about (and which the review did not touch on- hell, I guess I'm reviewing the review) are Namath's early years in the old AFL. That's what's fascinating about him- he represents the bridge between the Vince Lombardi era and the game as we know it today. I'm sure there are some stories there that football historians like me would find intriguing. I'd to read about the seasons when he, his team, and his league were fledgling forces to be reckoned with.

I have vague memories of the latter stages of Namath's career, when his knees were in such bad shape he was practically immobile. I remember one Monday Night game where he dropped back to pass and just fell down.

I thought he was a good football commentator - on NBC, where he where shared a booth with only one another announcer.

I fact-checked myself and am a better man for it. I almost wrote in the above graph that Namath's problem at ABC was he had to shout over Cosell. But Namath and Cosell were never in the same booth.


Archives

June 2004   July 2004   August 2004   September 2004   October 2004   November 2004   December 2004   January 2005   February 2005   March 2005   April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?