sam's notes

notes on government, sports and popular culture

Wednesday, September 29, 2004

 
Hoggard weighs in a bit on yesterday's post regarding the N&R's coverage of the Triad Equality Alliance's billboard campaign.

He rightly questioned my language: "...the fact that the N&R endorsed homosexuality...."

He's right. It is not a "fact" that the N&R endorsed homosexuality in either Saturday's news story or Sunday's editorial.

But, in my opinion, it's a logical inference. I don't think anyone who read the article or the editorial would disagree that they were favorable in tone. That the N&R would write favorably about any billboard campaign was a surprise to me, and I believe it did so in this instance because the billboard campaign fits the paper's liberal political agenda. Do these billboards not add to the "clutter" along major thoroughfares?

In re-reading Saturday's article, I noticed it repeated the media misconception that "President Bush announced plans to push for a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage." It's a moot point now, but the amendment itself would not ban gay marriage. It would "leave state legislatures free to make their own choices defining legal arrangements other than marriage."

I know you guys think I'm a homophobe. No way. I have wonderful gay neighbors around the corner, and one of my close friends is gay. I've openly expressed my thoughts to her that the gay community and the media are politicizing homosexuality as much as conservatives are. But, as most people in Greensboro do so well, we agree to disagree and move on.


Archives

June 2004   July 2004   August 2004   September 2004   October 2004   November 2004   December 2004   January 2005   February 2005   March 2005   April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?