sam's notes

notes on government, sports and popular culture

Monday, November 22, 2004

 
Look, I'm willing to let the election go. I agree with John Appel of Greensboro, who, in a letter to the editor begged the N&R to "please, please stop running presidential election outcome letters. It's over but you're still providing a forum for the sour grapes and gloating winners to scream at each other. Please, give us some relief."

Author, author! Then I came across the letter from Andrew J. Young. I thought I'd heard it all when I read this:

"There's no doubt the country is leaning heavily (no pun intended) to the right. Repubicans rejoice in the virtues of personal responsibility ('ownership society') and individual choice. What they haven't figured out is whether government should take corrective measures when the population chooses a lifestyle dangerous to the indivudual and the nation.

....In fact, promoting SUV ownership so tubby Americans can lumber across walkable distances would seem to reward moral and personal irresponsibility, to use the language of Christian fundamentalists."

Bottom line: It's Republicans' fault Americans are so fat.

I feel compelled to respond, but it would take all afternoon to get my arms around that logic.

Instead, I'll share a couple of observations over the course of the election season:

A large number of Kerry-Edwards stickers on SUVs;

Guilford County, the heart of the Piedmont and where Young asserts 50 percent of residents are overweight, went for Kerry;

Bill Clinton and my neighbor up the street, both liberals, underwent heart bypass surgery, my neighbor for the second time.

Okay, no more election talk.


Archives

June 2004   July 2004   August 2004   September 2004   October 2004   November 2004   December 2004   January 2005   February 2005   March 2005   April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?