sam's notes

notes on government, sports and popular culture

Monday, January 10, 2005

 
There were some difficult decisions to be made this weekend- whether or not to watch ACC hoops or the playoffs. Complicating matters was the fact that I was visiting my mother, who doesn't go for sitting around and watching sports all day. So I watched and listened (while doing yard work) when I could.

I was able to catch the entire Jets-Chargers game.

The buzz going into the playoffs was the NFC's mediocrity. But thank goodness this game wasn't the best the AFC had to offer. It was the most undisciplined, poorly-coached game I think I've ever seen. Madden commented repeatedly on the game's overall sloppiness.

Where to start? The Jets were pulled offsides by a hard count on fourth-and one. The Chargers had too many men on the field for a Jets punt after a key defensive stop. Schottenheimer's unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. The Jets twice had too few men on the field, and the Chargers twice didn't pick it up.
Herman Edwards having to be pulled away from his assistant coach.

Then there was Eric Barton's personal foul at the end of regulation. I know this sounds sinister, but I was pulling for the Chargers to win just so Barton would have to live with that during the offseason.

Then there was San Diego's field-goal attempt in overtime. Was anyone besides me thinking to themselves that, after three conservative running plays, the Chargers still didn't line the spot up in the center of the field?

That said, there are indeed better teams in the AFC. The Colts have a great offense, but I'm looking forward to New England going into Pittsburgh for the title game.


Archives

June 2004   July 2004   August 2004   September 2004   October 2004   November 2004   December 2004   January 2005   February 2005   March 2005   April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?