sam's notes

notes on government, sports and popular culture

Monday, January 23, 2006

 
Fowler: "The Panthers were badly mismatched at running back." No shit.

I pulled for the Steelers in the AFC title game, and I was happy that a family-owned franchise was representing the NFL in the Super Bowl. But as I watched the presentation of the trophy in the visitor's locker room, it dawned on me: the odds of two wild card teams meeting in the Super Bowl were slim. Negativity crept in; the Panthers were doomed before the kickoff.

But it had to happen sometime. In fact, had the Panthers won, the Super Bowl would have been a meeting of two family-owned franchises at different ends of the professional football spectrum. But it's hard when key players on both sides of the line are injured. I'm trying to figure just how much of a difference a healthy Julius Peppers would have made. Perhaps he could have produced the key defensive play the Panthers needed so badly. Not to mention a strong performance from its QB.

I guess I'm a sadist, but I also like watching the visiting team snatch title hopes from the hometown team in front of the fans. With that in mind, I'm glad the NFL did away with the bad idea of presenting the trophy to the visiting team on the field. I couldn't believe it when the AFC presented the '00 title trophy to the Ravens on the field right in front of disappointed (shall we say) Raiders fans. And to Art Modell, of all people, only one of the most hated men in the NFL at the time. As Modell was giving his acceptance speech, a firecracker went off and he jumped out of his shoes. I'm sure he thought he was dead. But what a way to die, clutching the championship trophy that had long eluded him.


Archives

June 2004   July 2004   August 2004   September 2004   October 2004   November 2004   December 2004   January 2005   February 2005   March 2005   April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?