sam's notes

notes on government, sports and popular culture

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

 
.....Rick Martinez is confused. So am I.

Martinez recently took a little trip to Davidson.

"If there is a prettier town in North Carolina than Davidson, I haven't come across it. Every house I saw as I drove through town looked freshly painted. I couldn't find a blade of grass out of place. Downtown is clean, even bright, and it bustles with paying customers, instead of Lookie-Lou tourists. The hometown of Davidson College could easily be mistaken for a movie set.

"The serenity that settled into my bones as I crossed into the city limits last week shattered once I entered town hall. Staring down at me like a stalker was an impressive, big-time award from the Environmental Protection Agency for excellence in -- and this really hurts -- Smart Growth.

"I can't stand Smart Growth."

I can't stand Smart Growth, either. But get this — I was begging for a little Smart Growth last Friday as I sat gridlocked in lunchtime Cary traffic, watching the needle on my engine creep steadily toward the red 'H'. How about a little light rail to ease this congestion, I thought to myself, right before the loud bang under the hood let me know my radiator hose had broken.

Everything worked out fine, as a kind Jiffy Lube manager secured a new hose and threw it on. Then the strangest thing happened. As I wound my way through Cary, through downtown Raleigh at 5p., I noticed the traffic had eased considerably. Practically disappeared. Maybe they were already at the beach. Maybe not.

Who needs TTA, I thought to myself.

I'm confused.


Archives

June 2004   July 2004   August 2004   September 2004   October 2004   November 2004   December 2004   January 2005   February 2005   March 2005   April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?